Thursday, January 29, 2009

Oh man, it has been a really long time since i posted. I must have just been really busy and tied up the last couple weeks because i don't even know where they went...

The Job: I have been working for my coach's company AQx the last month trying to sell aquatic training gear and do various projects for him. It has been a very interesting experience. I have all the freedom in the world to approach the sales however I like. I have been doing a lot of sales calls and a lot of emailing to aquatic directors all over portland and the surrounding areas. It's fairly discouraging though since the economy is so poor right now and even if I am able to generate interest there is very little money availble to spend. However, learning is best done by doing, right? And I am able to do a lot.

I was able to arrange a meeting with Portland Parks & Rec at which Garry spoke yesterday and he was able to spark negotiations for a big sell with them, which is especially exciting because the 10 pools or so within the system must all be standardized. So if they buy for one, then they buy for all, or if the plan to train their persons using our system then they must all be trained and we charge to put on clinics, so that is more income as well.

Garry has asked if I will be able to help him during spring term as well so at least that makes me feel like I am accomplishing enough so that he feels like he is getting something for the company's money.

The Sport: We had our first indoor meet last weekend at Washington State U in Pullman which is about 10 miles from the border of Idaho. It was something like 23 degrees outside and it dumped an inch or so of snow during the day so I was sure glad to be racing indoors, even if it was just a 200 meter track (so twice the laps) and only 3 other girls in my 3000 m race (two of which from Gonzaga and one from Whitman College). I lead the race against the 3 freshman and finished in 10:24 (about 10 seconds off the meet record. This is only the 3rd year they have put on this meet). It was a good start to the season. The 10:24 relates to around an 18:00 5k. Or about what I was running when I was peaking in cross. I have only dipped under 18 once and that was last track season in my breakout at Willamette in a time of 17:47. The next meet will be the first weekend in Feb in Moscow, ID. It is sounding like I will most likely double in 3k again with the mile before hand in the same day. It would make for a good day of training and more worth the 7 hour of driving through the snow.

The big one is in 3 weeks at University of Washington. Their DI women's team is one of the very best in the nation, which most of their top 5 around 16:00 for the 5k. I would really like to run the 5k at their meet but you must run a 17:35 to qualify. Garry is going to try to talk to the director and squeeze me in some how... keep your fingers crossed.

But the legs are doing pretty good. The achilles is feeling much better, my knee is bothering me marginally. I am up to running 5 days a week and back around 40 miles a week or so... a huge improvement from the 10 miles a week I was stuck at for nearly 2 months at the end of cross and into the off season.

The Break: We have a week off after Jan-Term and before Spring term starts. I am leaving tomorrow afternoon for Olympia to stay with Chris until Monday and then I will be coming home until Thursday so that I can be ready to leave on Friday for the Meet on Saturday and then back late Saturday and get ready to start class on Monday..... WHOOO... it's going to be crazy! But it will be fun and free of work and class and just a little break before everything gets going again.

I have never been to Olympia. So it will be fun to see what it's like and to meet his family and see his home. An adventure for sure. :)



So that's about where I am at for now. Hopefully I will have a chance to write in the next crazy week about the semester coming up and also about the Sports & Entertainment fair that I went to last night at the Rose Quarter. Quite the experience that was. Ah, the real world is sneaking up on me. Not a nice trick at all.

Enjoy your night. All love.

1 comment:

jennifer said...

Tricky tricky world we're in huh? That's great that you get to pencil in some fun time in all the craziness of college/sports/intern/work life. Try to enjoy this next year...all the little things. It's hard to ever get that sense of freedom back. Hope to see you while you're here. Maybe we could meet up at Grandmas for a visit?