Thursday, April 9, 2009

After spending weeks trying to sell ad spaces to B&Bs with little to no interest (nearly 300 emails and 100 phone calls) I was really suprised by the instant and effective feedback to a short and simple email and an effective attachment.

Today Holly gave me a task to send a short email requesting clients to take a look at the attached video and consider their budgeting strategy during this economic "repression". The email was only a few lines. There wasn't any large proposition for success or a "you-can't-afford-to-miss-this" offering. The email simply stated,

Hi All,
Here’s a slide show presentation about “Branding in a Recession” that speaks directly to the point being made about advertising even when things are tight.

A major point in that script: Companies that aggressively increased their media advertising expenditures in the last recession had a post-recession market share gain of 2.5 times the average for all businesses. This makes it an important time to consider your advertising budget, your market and your message.

I hope you find this useful.

Just an honest extension of useful information. With no strings or sales pitch attached.

I recently learned in my marketin class that consumers move through a psychological thought process on the way to a sale.

Awareness (gain attention) -->

Interest (persuade to investigate) -->

Desire (from "I like" to "I want" -->

Action (pursue purchase)

From my understanding this should be a highly complex and intriquetly constructed model to manipulate and motivate consumers deliberately along a premeditated path to make a sale. Every step and every aspect must be considered and taylored in order to create a sale.

Within 15 minutes of sending this email we recieved 6 responses with interest in full-priced advertising at the Oregon Wine Press.

How do you explain that? The return rate on cold calls averages around 3%. I have found that my average is much lower. The interest this email generated was huge.

Maybe people just want some honest and genuine information and support?

Maybe this is the "hot-topic" of the time?

Maybe people just wanted proof and a quantified reason to buy?

It could be any one of these or other things, and certainly some combination of many interwoven reasons. I think what this says to me is that there is a lot of value in a personal communication and a personally felt connection.

Below is the attached slide-show. Enjoy.

1 comment:

jennifer said...

Too often people say that nothing comes free in this life. If we hold that true with value and educational information, then we aren't sharing and growing. I think there is something to be said for sharing information with people and giving them reason to trust you. I am turned off by a hard sale, no matter how pleasant the person on the line. I do however feel a connection to those that are willing to provide information for free. Once that info is verified, then it provides that company with built in trust and credibility. That is the essense of attracting business in my opinion. Good job!!