Tuesday, September 2, 2008

One Meet Down

Western Oregon Summer's End Invite Article


We had our first meet last Friday and it went pretty well. We didn't have a real strong showing as a team, but, the team we fielded was entirely freshman minus myself and one senior who had taken the last year off running to live in Germany for a study abroad. I had a pretty good individual race with an 18:39 which was a pretty good time in the wind and since I was pretty much on my own for the last half of the race. I did end up winning a large marion berry pie... which was tasty and i shared with my room-mates, team-mates, and coaches.

That was Friday and then Saturday morning the team minus the freshman (who had required orientation on campus) left for our annual team camp in Warrenton on the coast. Warrenton is about 10 minutes south of Astoria (if I have my directions correct). The sun was out although it was kinda chilly. We got to run on some really nice trails and on the beach, as well as jump in the duck-weed filled pond in camp and do some deep-water running to help recover from the soreness of the race the day before. That's me in the pic below loving the ice cold pond and above is some of the team on the beach. Frances is next to me on the far right and she was my roommate last year. Down below the 3 handsome men are from left to right my roommate Shawn, my coach Dr. Garry L Killgore, and my long time running partner and friend/senior high school prom date Tyler Davis. It's very strange to think that I only have one more cross country camp left and a reminder that you got to enjoy things while you can because very soon I will be working full time and a real adult... crazy how that happens.

Class starts tomorrow and so everyone is finally moving back in and filling up campus. There is a free welcome back BBQ this afternoon after practice and then our assistand coach is having the team over to watch the golden league meet that he recorded from friday and his wife stephanie is going to make her amazing chocolate chip cookies. It will be a good send off to summer one last time.

Then class Weds and Thurs, as well as a brief work study session Thursday night and we leave Friday morning for our next meet in Walla Walla, Washington and I will allready be missing class. Hopefully I will be ready for the 4k on Saturday, which is 2k shorter than our normal race and most likely a lot quickier... better strap on those spikes and get ready to roll!

No comments: