Sunday, September 7, 2008

Hello All!

We made it back safe and sound last night from Walla Walla, Washington after the meet at Whitman college. It was a fun meet since it was only a 4k rather than our usual 6k and it went by quickly and we got to run a little faster than usual. The girls team came in 4th again over all and the freshman are coming right along. Our guys team did great too with my roommate Shawn being the top male finisher on out team and getting 4th place! Go Wildcats! Below is a copy of the bit on the homepage for Linfield athletics. Every couple days or so they pick an standout athlete to be the Wildcat Spotlight and get that little big posted first thing on the athletics homepage. I have never been picked before so I was excited to see that I was picked... minus the picture.... which isn't too cute. I also put a picture that my assistant coach took from the first meet at Western Oregon University in Monmouth, OR. The picture was taken at around the one mile mark.


WILDCAT SPOTLIGHT

Marci Klimek
Cross Country
Marci, a junior from Phoenix, Ore., won her
second cross country race of the young season
at the Whitman Invitational. Her time of 14:30.49
outdistanced the runner-up by nearly 10 seconds.



So besides racing the homework has already began. I had to finish my first book for my American Lit class by tomorrow so I quickly read the 250 pagge "O Pioneers" by Willa Cather in the van, as well as 40 pages for history of world civ, and 30 pages for business law, and 20 pages for managerial accounting. I am not very used to having this much assigned reading and more used to all the note taking and studying figures for the science classes i used to be taking before I switched my major... BUT... I am actually really enjoying it. Especially the material for the American Lit class since it is such an interesting era to look back on. "O Pioneers" was written in 1913 by Willa Cather and is about a family struggling in Nebraska to make some fortune or atleast some stability by way of their land. It is interesting to hear about how the French and the Bohemians and the Swedish and even the Czechs all had there communities and customes and lifestyles and how the differed and interacted. It makes me wish I had a time machine and could experience things that are so real and so eye opening as the hardships they faced.

Besides all the homework and running there really hasn't been much time for anything... I experience little social time in my college experience. I feel lucky I have practice to get me out of the house and my head out of the books! I get to go grocery shopping too now... which is another excuse/opportunity to take a break from the studying. Chris and I are going to back a big chicken tonight and we have stuffing and cranberry sauce planned as well... nothing like a home-cooked meal just like my Dad makes at home!! I just love the comfort foods that I have gotten so used to at home. Hopefully I will do a good enough job I can trick myself into thinking I am at home for the night.

1 comment:

~S said...

Hey Marci, good news about the race, and you are right that picture doesn't do you justice! :) I am glad school is going well this year so far. Ashlee loves reading your blogs, it keeps her inspired to run. You know, she is determined to take over the top spot that you hold at the middle school. She has hard job ahead of her though, but she enjoys it. Keep in touch. Shana