Monday, October 13, 2008

This last week wasn't too exciting. We had an off week from meets and so we got a full weekend. I had 2 midterms and I feel like they went pretty well. I had both of them on Thursday though which made for a long day. I had one 90 minute test starting at 9:15, then a second 90 minute test 15 mins after I got done with the first, then 3 hours of work 30 minutes after i got out of that class, and then a hard workout 15 minutes after work.... I was ready for bed. The two tests were in Managerial Accounting and Business law and then I have another midterm next Monday in my History of World Civ class so I will be spending this weekend trying to get ready for that!


Today in my Literature class we had a guest come to speak and discuss with us, his name is Al Young and he is the California Poet Laureate. The role of the California Poet Laureate is to spread the art of poetry from classrooms to boardrooms across the state, to inspire an emerging generation of literary artists and to educate all Californians about the many poets and authors who have influenced our great state through creative literary expression. He read some of his works and spoke to us in general about American cultural and the power of language. One really interesting insight he made was about the medias and the governments use of complex and cliche termonalogy which has no meaning to the general public or the average person. This kinda of "prepackaged" language is unclear and confusing to most of us and if you think about it this is realy true. Terms like "pre-emptive strike" or "power grab" are virtually meaningless, there is no guide-book or reference to look to, we can only assume meanings. Additionally there are secondary meanings to so many frequently used words, for example, conservative is defined as someone who is resisting change or perfers a traditional role, recently we see a societal view of conservatives as aggressive and seeking power and expansion rather than maintenance of personal issues. There is terrible loss of simple and useful language that all people can related to the use of senses; a lemon is sour, we all know sour, it is what it is, it is clear and straight forward, it is not created to bring out an image or an emotion or pull you one way or another... let us speak with clarity and honesty and be provided with simple information not stories and headlines and opinions. Allow us our due right to facts and let us form our own thoughts on things. What channel can I turn to for that? Anyhow, the website is alyoung.org if you would like to read some of his work. My favorite that he read to us and his favorite also is titled, "a note on the future of love." I can't find it on Google, but it is really good and about American Culture. He also spoke about how America is the largest market place in the world for drugs, largely due to the high stress, go, go, go, american lifestyle. I think we can all relate to the rush of life and the demand in America to keep up in order to pursuit happiness and success. I am glad that we all have our families, dreams, and sanity to overcome this trials... I am sure glad I have my running as well.

The weather has been good here, this weekend was warm and the colors were amazing. Some friends and I played a few games of horse shoes in the backyard and tossed the baseball around. It was really relaxing once we warmed up and got in a hot breakfast after the 7:00 practice on Saturday morning. It was deffinately still dark out and looking a little frosty white like christmas at a nippy 28 degrees.

For Halloween we will be in Walla Walla getting ready for our Conference meet the next day. We all decided to dress up for dinner that night and suprise the coaches so I am trying to think of a really good costume idea... if any one has any suggestions please let me know. I can't wait to see all the pictures of the little cousins in their outfits for Halloween. They are always adorable. It will be tough to top Hunters little Einstein outfit from last year though!! SO CUTE!!! I am including a pic so you can start to get excited for all the little trick-or-treaters coming to your door soon!

We have our final meet before conference this weekend at McIver Park near Portland and my dad is coming up again to watch! I am really excited to see him again! It is a shame that Thanksgiving is so far away and is our only break all semester... dang it! Atleast we have the full week off and only 2 weeks of class after that!

Well, I best get back to the homework. This week won't be too bad, just keeping caught up with everything and getting ready for that History test!

Hope all are healthy and happy and enjoying the crunchy leafs, the crisp air, and the wonderful colors... If anyone has the time take a walk thru Lithia Park for me... I sure to miss getting to see that park this time of year... nothing like it!

Love you and Miss you all!

1 comment:

albachong said...

Hello, Marci --

What a kind and generous link you've provided to your blog.

I've posted your 13th October 2008 entry at http://AlYoung.org

It's at Wild Blue Yonder.

Cheers to you and Linfield College, where I'm enjoying my week as visitor.

Onward,
Al Young