Sunday, October 5, 2008

No end in sight for Klimek
October 5th, 2008

http://www.linfield.edu/linfield-review/?p=658#more-658



I had a good week this week. Above is the link to an article in the school news paper "The Linfield Review" that was published on Friday.

For my internship I was able to fill 3 of the 6 advertising B&B placements. The deadline is October 15th, but, I have a couple more people considering so... I think I can make it work. It's been fun learning how to take to people and business owners and what works and what doesn't. The more you make it to be a conversation and personable the better off you are. Otherwise I sound like a telemarketer and get hung-up on. :( boo!

I have 2 midterms coming up this Thursday. One in my Business Law class and the other in my Managerial Accounting class. I think it will go well though. I have been studying hard and am getting the info down. The nice thing about business classes is the usefulness of commonsense and the ability to think things through and have them make sense. It's nice to be able to talk yourself through a jam.

Our team had the Willamette Meet and it went pretty well. I finished 7th, but the first mile went out in 5:30 which is faster than I have even been able to run in practice yet this season. Most of the other meets first miles have gone out in around 6 minutes. I felt good though and smooth and got through the 300+ crowd at the start and then the quick bottle neck about 400 meters later to 2nd or 3rd coming through the first mile. From there I dropped and came back, passed and got passed, and with around 600 meters to go I was in 5th with 2 other girls from my conference. I really had a pretty bad mental lapse after all that battling and lost the 2 girls and dropped back about 5 to 10 seconds from them in that last 600 meters. So that was a little disappointing. BUT... over all... a 30 second PR in a XC 5k and a 40 place improvement from last year can't be too disappointing. Plus the best time a Linfield Women has clocked at that race. And I learned what I need to work on in the next 4 weeks to be ready for conference, the next 5 weeks for regionals, and the next6 weeks for the big important meet in Hanover, IND on November 22nd... OH! AND top 15 were given nike backpacks! So that was also a plus!



My dad was also up for the weekend which was SOOOOOO nice. I was really really happy to see someone from home and get some good perspective on the Linfield bubble. You can't beat family! He was there to watch the race and the weather was even good enough that he didn't have to use his search and rescue grade rain-gear! He them took me out to dinner and for a drink at the roof top bar. We both had gin and tonics. My dad told the bartender that I had just turned 21 and that he was taking his daught out for her first drink. I think he was a little disappointed that I only had one drink for my 21st celebration... But after such a good dinner and desert I had no room for anything else anyway. He also brought me up some packages and my fridge and cupboards are looking exceptionally tasty due to everyones thoughtfullness and baking and cooking skills. I can't tell you how thankful I am for everything that my family is to me. I have pictures of the kids and family all overy my room because you all remind me of my roots and the amazing influences you have all been on me.

Thank you Belinda so much for the jam! I lathered a big spoonfull on some of Jennifer's toasted zuchinni bread and had to go back for about 3 more slices. My dad ate a couple as well, and we made the event into a full-out mid-day tea time just for grandma. The homemade spaghetti sauce looks amazing and is just waiting for me to heat up those meatballs I made last week and froze for such an occasion. Now THAT is going to be a good meal! Plus the pesto and the applesauce look SO GOOD! I am having to fight off all the roomies! I have the pictures of the kids up next to my desk and all the smiling faces make me miss home and very thankful that I have such a wonderful family and home waiting for me come Thanksgiving...and any time I want it. :) My mom sent me a HUGE box of apples that are going to be put to good use in pies and probably some more applesauce... and more stuffing too! (Chris's favorite)THANK YOU EVERYONE!

I also thought I would include a photo of one more birthday gift i got this HUGE road sign my teammates drove 30 miles to tear down in the night and bring home for my birthday... illegal? Yes. But isn't it cool! How many Klimek Lns are there around?



I went for a good long run in the rain this morning and did a lot of thinking. I got re-focused and amped for the last big run at training. I thought about how I only had one more chance to run at the Willamette Invite. I thought about all that I am missing back home. I thought about how the next birthday worth celebrating is the big 30 and that it is only 9 years away. I thought about taking it all one thing at a time and enjoying the moment, not making things bigger or smaller than they truely are, appreciating what I have, what I've done, and what I have the opportunity to do. I thought about my goals and I thought about my roots. If you can, please take a moment today to think about where you are, where you've been, and where you are going... and think about all the amazing people, experiences, and moments in your life.

It's a good day.

No comments: