Sunday, September 14, 2008

So this was only the first full week of school with all my classes and my workstudy job and my internship. It was deffinately an eye opener about just how focused I am going to have to be this semester to do all the things I want to do.

We had a hard week of training and I was feeling a little nervous about the Lewis and Clark invite this weekend. We had really hard workouts on both Tuesday and Thursday and also a long run last Sunday. So I was feeling pretty beat up as far as my legs were concerned and I had a little bit of a heat issue during the workout on Thursday since I only had time to do my workout at 4:00 in the afternoon.



but the race went really well yesterday there were 12 teams there. We finished 4th but were only 10 points of so out of first or second so it was really close. They only score the top 5 finishers and our 5th girl was 27th. All the ladies were really excited and packed up togeter and supported eachother through out the race. It was exctra exciting since that was the freshmans first time running a 6k, and our longest race of the season. As they run more they will figure out the distance better and better. I finished 1st and ran the 7th fastest time ran by a female on the course. The race went thru the first mile really slow (6:15 or so) which i didn't mind because my legs were fatigued... so the slower the better for me. After 2 miles or so I got a good break and then pushed it in and won by a pretty good distance. Now we have next weekend off and will just be working hard all through the week. I took my run easy today and look forward to refreshing in the pool later this afternoon.



I also had my first couple days with the Oregon Wine Press. I have my own desk and computer and company email and phone. It's the little things that sometimes seem like a big deal, isn't it?
This was the first week of my actual internship even though I have been in communication with Jeb, the publisher of the news register, as well as Holly Goodman, the director of advertising for the Oregon Wine Press and also my internship advisor, for a good deal of the summer. It was really fun to actually get the internship going and do some hands on work after talking about it and planning it for such a long time now.

On Monday I got some introductions and found that many of the employees were Linfield College Grads. One of which, Chris, actually was on the track team with me a couple years ago. Holly had me work on updating the master list that the Oregon Wine Press uses for all it's contacts about advertising and distribution and events and related info. Some of the e-mails weren't functioning so I got to call various wineries and businesses that were potentially, formerly, or currently associated with the Wine Press and update there info as well as try and pitch them as distribution points or a media kit or more info about advertising.I was assigned later in the week, on Wednesday, to start sourcing festivals for a large section that the Wine Press will be doing starting next year.

I am really excited about being responsible for the souring for the list of festivals and as my list grows what I will be able to do with all those contacts. I already made a pitch to MarshAnne Winery in Oakland and sent them some info about advertising and becoming a distribution point.


The Anatomy lab went well too...it was funny to see how uncomfortable people were with the idea of dealing with the cadavers and disecting the cats and thinking about how I was just like that a year ago. I really feel like I have changed and grown a lot in the last year. My coach actually mentioned the same thing to me the other day at practice as well.

Hopefully it is for the best.

1 comment:

jennifer said...

I felt the same way, spending time with you this summer. You seem more comfortable and settled in general and I'm so proud of all you are doing and accomplishing! I know it sounds cliche but you are certainly a girl that can do anything you set out to do. Thanks for sharing your blog. It's nice to see your place. Take care and we're thinking about you! Love ya!