Thursday, January 1, 2009

New Year

Happy New Year All!

I know that it has been a very long time since I have posted. Since November and I entirely skipped over the Holidays and December and now it is January... 1st 2009! Now that is crazy. 2009.

A year ago today I was considering and searching for the right school and what I wanted to do I didn't really have a good idea about what I would be doing in a month not to mention a year. At this point I was enrolled in classes at SOU and ready to make the switch. Since then I attended a couple classes, decided it wasn't the right fit, travelled to New Mexico and decided that wasn't the right fit either and then finally came to realize that I was at Linfield because it was the best choice, the right choice, and it was something I wanted to do not something I had to do. I feel like the results that followed and the outcome from making this decision have really taught me an important lesson

It's not so much in whether you able to determine which option is the
absolute best or the right choice, it's more about making a good decison and
commiting completely and being content with your best effort.

There is no use in regretting or doubting or going half way so that you always maintain a safe emergency exit. It is simply better off just to buy in and give it everything you have. It's not so much what the decision is but in making the decision what you do with it. You will never reach you potential if you are always holding back or if you do everything while holding your fears in mind. You must trust yourself and the good intention of others and the world that everything will work out.

Always be willing to change.
I was talking to a friend at school about good advice that we had recieved and tried to carry with us. My friend had been talking to his Grandpa about his life and asked him from all the living what he had learned and his Grandpa said that we must always be willing to change. It is incredibly difficult to stay flexible in life, but it is necissary to success and happiness. Few things in life are constant and things are always changing with time to resist change is to fight time and life. We must always be able to keep perspective about the world around us, and certainly about our role within the world and in relation to others. Being honest with yourself is one of the hardest things to do. To be able to examine what you are without bias or ambitions or this feeling that we control what we do not. A simple, honest perspective is golden.
Past decisions are irrelevent.
Do not let your future be determined by your past. We learned in Managerial Accounting that one should never consider sunk costs. They are gone and can not be recovered. So you can only more forward and look at what you can gain and not what you have already lost. Allow yourself the ability to let go of where you have been and what you have done and know that you are capable of extended past all of those previous barriers and accomplishments and failures and just because you have been there before doesn't mean you automatically will be there again. Whether this means that you have instant access or unavoidable direction, niether is true. You can be who ever you want to be, and that is all you really can trust or control is yourself. I learned this during cross when I knew I should be a shoe-in for Nationals and it turned out I had to run my heart and legs out to snatch that last spot. I ran this way because of the way I trained and treated my body and the state of my mind, not because of what the coaches told me or the cheers of my teammates or my injuries or diet. This also was became apparent when I was able to come back a week later and stabalize my mentality and run the way I should have at the national meet, because I decided that was what I expected of myself.
There are a lot of things that I learned in 2009 and I don't really believe in waiting for some magical moment or time to put into motion the work and actions to get the things you want. Any time is the perfect time to start, but since the New Year is here I might as well start a long drive to a better life.

"Every morningis a fresh beginning. Every day is the world made new. Today is a new day. Today is my world made new. I have lived all my life up to this moment, to come tothis day. This moment--this day--is as good as any moment in all eternity. I shall make of this day--each moment of this day--a heaven on earth. This is my day of opportunity."

Dan Custer

May the new year bless you and yours and bring you happiness, health, and prosperity. Love you all.

3 comments:

jennifer said...

Happy New Year to you as well Marci!

jennifer said...

I've been thinking that you need to be a life coach at some point in yuour life...maybe it's already on your to do list? You do have (what I view) to be life's most important message down: Change happens, live for the day because life will be different tomorrow. I'm loving the quotes. Do you search for them, or just find them in readings?

Marci Klimek said...

thanks Jen. I would love to be any kind of coach at any point in my life actually. I don't know that I have anything in life figured out well enough to provide advice. But the last quote I read somewhere online. "Always be willing to change" I heard from my friend Arian about his grandpa, "Past decisions are irrelevent" is a decision making rule that I learned for my managerial accounting final, it's funny where you find truely wise words.